As our work environments evolve, so do our work habits. One of the latest trends in home office accessories is the under-desk treadmill.
This device allows you to maintain physical activity even while you’re hard at work on your computer.
But what exactly is an under-desk treadmill and how can it benefit you? Let’s delve into the details.
What is an Under-Desk Treadmill?
An under-desk treadmill is a compact exercise machine designed to fit under a standing desk.
It’s essentially a treadmill without the traditional handrails and console that would normally take up space.
Instead, the controls are minimized and often come in the form of a wireless remote control or a simplified interface on the machine itself.
Benefits of Using an Under-Desk Treadmill
The most obvious benefit of using an under-desk treadmill is the ability to stay active during your workday.
Regular exercise has been proven to boost mood, increase productivity, and improve overall health.
With an under-desk treadmill, you can easily incorporate movement into your daily routine without disrupting your work.
Everyone will experience different benefits in different intensity levels but some common ones are a boost in creativity, energy levels, and focus.
Drawbacks of Under-Desk Treadmills
Like any piece of equipment, under-desk treadmills have their drawbacks.
For one, they can be noisy, which may disturb your focus or bother others in your household.
Secondly, they require regular maintenance to keep them running smoothly.
The other thing to consider is that under-desk treadmills can easily be used as an excuse not to go for outdoor walks. However the latter is much better in most cases.
Finally, there’s an adjustment period for those unaccustomed to walking while working.
It may take some time to get used to balancing your focus between your work and your stride.
Types of Under-Desk Treadmills
There are several types of under-desk treadmills available on the market, each with its unique features.
Some are simply flat belts that allow for walking or running, while others include incline capabilities for a more intense workout.
Still, others are 2-in-1 machines that can be used as both a standing desk and a treadmill.
Here is a list of the most common ones in the market:
- Flat Belt Under-Desk Treadmills: These are the simplest form of under-desk treadmills, consisting of a flat belt for walking or light running, designed to fit under a standing desk.
- Incline Under-Desk Treadmills: These treadmills add an extra layer of intensity to your workout by offering incline capabilities. You can raise the platform to simulate walking uphill, thus burning more calories.
- 2-in-1 Under-Desk Treadmills: These treadmills double up as both a standing desk and a treadmill. When the treadmill is not in use, the belt area can be used as a standing desk.
- Compact Under-Desk Treadmills: These are designed for those with limited space. They are compact and often foldable, allowing for easy storage when not in use.
- High-end Under-Desk Treadmills: These treadmills come with advanced features like smart connectivity, built-in workout programs, and high-quality sound-insulating materials for a quieter workout. They offer a premium walking experience at a higher price point.
Choosing the Right Under-Desk Treadmill
When choosing an under-desk treadmill, consider factors such as size, speed range, noise level, weight capacity, and whether it has features like an incline.
Also, take into account the warranty and customer reviews to ensure you’re making a wise investment.
An under-desk treadmill can be a valuable tool for staying active during your workday.
Despite some potential drawbacks, the benefits of increased activity and improved health make it an appealing option for many remote workers.
Do you want to get your hands, or rather your feet, on one of these bad boys but you’re still not sure about which one is best for you?
About the author
Karim Bel Hadj
As his name suggests, Karim is the founder of Creme de la Karim. He fell in love with remote working since he left his first corporate job and never looked back! And because something you love is almost always better shared, he is on a mission to help all remote workers and digital nomads make the most of this amazing lifestyle. You can reach out to him via Twitter @cremedelakarim